Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Bunny Cut Up Cake


Those of you oldsters will recognize this cake idea from the old Baker's Coconut Cut Up Cake book. It's an old classic, I made it when I was about 11 or 12. I found it online from ALL FREE CRAFTS and got all nostalgic. It's super, super easy.

Here's how:
1. Bake two round cakes from your favorite cake recipe or cake mix.
2. One round cake will become the bunny's face, while the other is cut according to the diagram at right, creating two bunny ears and a bow tie.
3. Position the ears at the top of the round cake, and the bow tie at the bottom, as shown in the colored diagram at left.
4. Use frosting, or thawed Cool Whip topping to attach the cake pieces together, then continue frosting the cake as usual.
5. Sprinkle the entire cake with shredded coconut. (Okay, when I have made this I never used coconut as I don't like it in frosting. I just frosted it with frosting. Works fine, if you smooth as you go.) You may wish to use pink tinted coconut on the inside of the ears and for all or part of the bow tie.
6. Finish creating the bunny's facial features using small chocolate easter eggs, gumdrops, jelly beans or smarties for the eyes and nose and red licorice strings to form the whiskers and a smiling mouth. Don't forget to add some candy polka dots to the bow tie.

No comments: