Sunday, February 21, 2010

potato leek soup

Quinn and I are obsessed with this soup right now.

Potato Leek Soup

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
4 sliced of bacon--cut into pieces
1 diced onion
4 large leeks, cleaned and sliced (I have a hard time having the patience to really clean the leeks before I slice, so a lot of times I'll clean them, then slice them, then put them in a strainer and run them under water for quite a while to really get all of the grit out. To me this is easier.)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2-3 cups chicken stock/broth (the first time I made this I had stock on hand, the second time I only had broth. It was significantly better with the stock rather then the broth.)
2-3 cups beef stock/broth
1-2 cups of cream
4 russett potatoes

Directions

Heat oil in a pan that will hold the soup over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook to render the fat. Add the onion and leeks, saute for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add butter. When melted, stir in flour to make a roux. Whisk in chicken and beef stock. Add potatoes. (I just sort of gauge how much stock to use here. Just enough to cover all the ingredients.) Bring to a simmer and cook until potatoes are tender. Right before serving I add in the cream and heat through.

No comments: