Monday, September 6, 2010

Poppy Seed Chicken

I can't remember if I already posted this or not. We had this at girls camp in June several years ago. It had snowed all day and we were all freezing, huddled together in our cabins. My good friend Debbie was our camp cook and around 4:00 that afternoon she put on her snowsuit and left our cold, cold cabin to fix this dish. In near-blizzard like conditions. I helped her as best I could, but she is and will remain my hero because as soon as we all had a hot meal inside of us our spirits (and the weather) improved dramatically. This, to me, is the ultimate comfort food and meets all the criteria. Our memories really are all tied up with the smell and taste of food and the hands that prepared it.

6-8 chicken breasts
2 cans cream of chicken soup
16 ounces sour cream
1 sleeve Ritz crackers, crushed
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 stick butter, melted
3 cups cooked white rice (can increase rice to extend recipe to feed more)

Boil chicken, and shred into bite-size pieces. Mix soup and sour cream, and stir in chicken and rice. Spoon mixture into a greased 9" x 13" casserole dish. Sprinkle crushed crackers over the chicken mixture, then sprinkle poppy seeds over the top. Drizzle melted butter over the top. Bake at 350 degrees until bubbly. (This is a great make-ahead dish, and making it the night before enhances the flavor.

No comments: