Sunday, October 26, 2008

Pot Roast

I made a most delicious pot roast today (if I do say so myself). Whenever I'm looking for a recipe I usually browse through several and then just take the parts that I like from all of them and make my own. I made this in the crockpot just because I think it is easier but you could make it in the oven as well. So here it goes.

1 3 pound beef chuck roast
Kosher Salt
Fresh Ground pepper
3 T oil
3 carrots sliced thin
1 onion sliced
3 celery stalks sliced thin
4-5 garlic gloves
2 T flour
1 cup beef broth
1 package of onion soup mix
1 cup water
1/3 cup parsley

Rub roast with kosher salt and pepper. I also rubbed about a half a package of onion soup mix onto the roast. Heat pan with oil. When hot, sear the roast (all sides). Remove roast. In same pan, add onion, carrots, celery, and smashed or diced garlic. Salt and pepper as needed. Sautee for about 5-8 minutes. Add more oil if needed. Add 2 T of flour to coat veggies. Mix onion soup mix with water. Add mixture to vegetables. Add beef broth as well. Cook for a few minutes.

With a crockpot set to low, add seared roast. Pour veggie/liquid mixture over roast and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.

The last hour, I threw in baby carrots and mushrooms because I had them. Delish.

The roast was so moist and tender. You could make a gravy with the liquid or just spoon over mashed potatoes by itself.

No comments: