Friday, June 6, 2008

Grilled Fruit



Halve the peaches. Sprinkle generously with sugar. Let them sit for a bit while the sugar dissolves. Grill the peaches flesh side down for about 2 to 3 minutes. Then turn over and grill for about 1-2 minutes more. Take them off the grill and then drizzle with molasses. Serve with crème fraîche. I don't think I had really ever had crème fraîche before as it is not widely available and because of the cost is mainly used in high end cooking. So I decided to make some of my own. It is sort of a lighter tastier version of sour cream. It was totally worth it. I was the perfect compliment to the grilled fruit.

Crème Fraîche

To make your own is very easy. Using a glass container, start out with heavy cream (i actually just used regular whipping cream and it was fine). Then add buttermilk.

I added 2 tablespoons of buttermilk to my one cup of cream. I stirred it up a bit covered it with plastic and then let it sit overnight at room temperature. Everything I read assured me this is perfectly safe and that the good bacteria cultures in the buttermilk help stave off the bad ones. About 16 hours later it was a thick delicious cream.

I plan on making it all the time now. I plan on trying this with nectarines, plums and apricots. Yum, yum!

1 comment:

cs said...

Think I could do this on my George Foreman? It looks wonderful.