Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Two Great Salads!

Apple-Gorgonzola Salad

5-6 cups of your favorite greens
2-3 Granny Smith apples peeled and sliced
1 cup shredded carrots
3-4 oz. gorgonzola cheese

garnish with about a cup of chopped caramelized pecans. To caramelize: Put about a half cup of sugar in a skillet on medium heat. Stir sugar and it will begin to melt around the edges. Continue stirring until sugar is completely melted and is an amber color. You may need to lower the heat towards the end. Quickly add the pecans and stir. Then immediately remove from the heat. Put the pecans in another container to cool. Break up and toss into salad after the dressing has been added.

Dressing
1 cup salad oil
1/4 cup FRESH lemon juice
1/8 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. white pepper

Combine the above ingredients and toss into salad just before serving. I like to make the dressing a few hours ahead to let the flavors blend together.

Berry-Mandarin Tossed Salad

8 Cups torn mixed greens
2 cups sliced strawberries
1 can drained mandarin oranges
1 med red onion sliced and rings separated
1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds
4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled

Dressing
1/4 cup sugar
2 T cider vinegar
2 T honey
1-1/4 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp ground mustard
1/2 tsp grated onion
1/4 tsp. celery seed
dash of salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil

Combine all the salad ingredients into a salad bowl. Mix together the dressing ingredients then toss into the salad just before serving.

Making salad is probably one of my least favorite things to prepare in the kitchen. However these two recipes are worth the time and the work to make. They are really delicious salads!

5 comments:

cs said...

These look sooo good, I am definitely trying them. thanks, for posting them. Tell me though, where do I find gogonzola cheese?

Dana said...

Not Macey's. I wanted to make the salad for my R.S. and went to Macey's and it was a no go but most grocery stores will have it in their specialty cheese case.

Also I'm loving the new blog even though I didn't know it existed until today and I'd love to ask your technical adviser to please please please make the blog subscribable on an RSS feed so we all know when a new recipe is posted. Pretty please.

ld said...

Only heard about it today! I've only been emailing an invitation to you every day for the past week to join and I told your husband to have you check you email too. Obviously, you don't check your email. I won't mention anything about not listening to your hubby.

Dana said...

Ld,

I apologize profusely. Now that you mention it Ryan did ask me if I'd gotten an e-mail from you and I thought that was an odd question and he may have said something about it being a blog invitations. As for not responding to your e-mails my ryanbrijs account gets something like 500 junk e-mails a day and so if your not in my address book it goes to my junk mail which I try to scan just in case important mail gets in there by mistake as obviously was the case in this instance. Next time e-mail me at my gmail account - brijsda at gmail.com

cs said...

I made the strawberry orange salad for dinner today. it was fabulous!