Friday, May 30, 2008

Kalua Pig (the one I served at Meg's Homecoming, and Christmas Eve, etc)


When I served in YW we had a camp cook (she was also my Laurel Advisor) who had her husband bring this up on the last night. It was divine. A couple of years later she served as my Education Counselor in RS and served this at our Birthday Social. I got the recipe from her and her husband threw in some real Hawaiian Sea Salt as they lived there for about 6 years. I have made it many times since, but usually in big proportions as it’s great for funerals (in place of tired ham), fam get togethers, dinners etc. It’s relatively cheap, goes a long way, and has a rich flavor. Oh, and it’s very easy. Everyone loves it.

Since I usually cook a lot at a time, I use my turkey roasting pan (with 2 big shoulder roasts) and cook it in the oven and turns out fine. I double the ingredients and cook it at about 270 for about 10-12 hours. If you are using the oven method instead of the crockpot, make sure you cover the pan with aluminum foil and then put on lid.

Kalua Pig

5-6 lb pork butt or pork shoulder roast (shoulder and butt are the same cut, btw)
Crushed garlic
Hawaiian sea salt (coarse)
¼ cup water
1 1/2 to 2 Tbsp. liquid smoke (we like Wright’s)

Score the meat with a sharp knife. Rub the pork roast generously with crushed garlic, and then generously with sea salt. Add ¼ cup of water to the crock pot, then add the roast. Pour the liquid smoke on top of the roast, and sprinkle pork with more salt (about a teaspoon or so.) Cook on low for 10-15 hours in the crock pot. The pork should shred very easily when cooked. Serve with rice or on rolls. Makes 12 servings.

1 comment:

wendy said...

I am so excited to try this recipe! I worked at a hawaiian restaurant in high school and kalua pig was my favorite dish!