Friday, May 30, 2008

Manacotti


Several months ago, Devry introduced me to Italian sausage spaghetti, which consequently changed Dave's and my dinner-life. The following is a combo-take on that and my mom's manacotti:

Filling:

Ricotta cheese
Mozzarella cheese
1 egg
parsley
oregano

Mix the above. (As for portions for the cheese...it depends on how much manacotti you're making. A little goes a long way.)

Sauce:

ground mild Italian sausage
1 jar spaghetti sauce
1 sm. carton heavy whipping cream

Brown the sausage. Pour in spag. sauce and cream and simmer for a bit.

Cook your noodles. Don't worry if they break apart while draining. The cheese stuffing will keep the roll together. Pour a smidge of sauce into a baking pan. Stuff the noodles with cheese and lay them onto the pan. Cover in sauce. Top with remaining mozzarella. Bake @ 350 for 30 min or so.

2 comments:

cs said...

I love Manicotti. Question: is there a particular brand of Italian sausage you use or recommend?

lacy lee said...

I think I use Johnson's brand. It's just the most aesthetically packaged one in the store (which is generally my criteria for picking it. I'm a consumer-sucker, I know). I'm sure any brand would work out fine.